Skip to main content

Lima Peru Norte


Taylor overlooking the City Lights in Peru!


Wow! Que loco!

So this week was very crazy! We left the airport Monday night at midnight, and arrived in Peru at 6 am... I was running off of two hours of sleep the first day we were here! Crazy!

Leaving Mexico was a little bit of both happy and sad. I really enjoyed our district, and we had such a great time, great leaders, great teachers, and loved all of the stuff I learned! We were sad to leave each other, but it is all for the better!

We had a crazy takeoff, it took forever! And the landing was in the low clouds... Scary! But we made it safe, and drove straight to the Mission home! (After we left Elders Olsen and Morris, going to Lima East.)

We had some breakfast, had some training, had some introductions, and in total we had 11 Gringos, I think... 8 from My district! We then sat in the chapel, had the new missionaries on the one side, the Trainers on the other, he called us up one by one and put us together! We all got companions except Elder Christopherson! So sad! His companion was stuck! But I got my new Companion from Ecuador, Elder Mendez! He is so funny! He speaks technically no English… no more than any other Peruvian here. They can all say What's yourr Naaame, How are chew and ello! We went right to work, and were out the door at 4 pm! They don't want to waste time here!

My Zone is Canto Grande, and my area is Canto Nuevo, which is split in 2, we are Canto Nuevo 2, in the hills a little bit. It is… I wouldn't say pretty, and I wouldn't say ugly, but it is ugly. So much dust! It's crazy! The temp. here is fantastic for me, but apparently it is the coldest of the cold right now! But I am wearing short sleeves!

So you know how I said I was pretty confident with my Spanish... Yea... I figured that was a lie... I understand a lot! I really do! But I miss a lot of the key words, so I kinda know what they are saying, just not what they are talking about.... haha... But I am learning, and everyone understands that this is my first week in a new country. The CCM can only prepare you so much, it is defiantly completely different here!

The people here are fantastic! So willing to listen, share, and have fun! I don't know what it is, but they just have an amazing light about them!

The food here is pretty amazing! We have quite a few members in our area, and we don't go hungry! Every Shopkeeper we talk to gives us a juice box and crackers! Every time! There is tons of fruit to eat, and lots of snacks, because there really isn't a breakfast or a dinner... Just snacks all day! The first day, the lunch at the mission home, they gave us pizza... Why? I want Peruvian food! But that night, I had 3 different warm drinks, teas, chocolate, and Colada. They taste like weird bland beans that you put sugar in... I don't know exactly why we drink it.  One thing I was not told, is that they give you tons of bread! Rolls for everything, including some Lunches. They put Lunchmeat or eggs or avocados or potatoes… and that's what you eat for Breakfast or Dinner. No clue! But it's fine! I haven't skipped a day without having potatoes yet! I love potatoes... so much... My first Lunch I had was of course Lomo saltado! Amazing! We have had different stews, different soups, drinks, and Pollo ceviche. Rice and potatoes with each. It's pretty fantastic! Just needs salt... There is no salt in this country! But I really do enjoy the food!

My companion... where to start! He loves to sing, he plays Futbol, (shocker...), and loves to talk to people! He talks, and Jokes, and plays, its great! He was converted when he was 7 years old, so he has pretty much been a member. But he remembers the process to become baptized. He teaches the lessons with power, and confidence, and has only been out for 6 months! He has taught me a ton, and I am even teaching him a little English.

So a normal day. I have not experienced one! We have had meetings, service, the weirdest schedules! But that is how it goes! My first full day, Wednesday, it was service! We went with other elders from our Zone, and started out by destroying some rock/dirt on the pathway from a ladies hallway - from her laundry to her outside chicken coop! We broke rocks, moved dirt to the outside of her house in bags. I don't know what they are going to do with them, but we did it. We then removed some hard dirt/concrete from the street for a random family, and then moved garbage out of a house for another. None in our area, but I did alright since 2 of the guys I was with were American. One is Elder Gledhill, and he is from Utah as well! He is also Canto Nuevo 1, the other half of our area. We got back, had some lunch, the lomo saltado, and went back to teaching.

The houses here! Nothing could have prepared me! I mean, the best houses here are unfinished basements, with wires, pipes, metal sticking out, some don't have walls, some walls are cardboard! It is crazy! Especially when you start to go up the hill! We teach a lot in the middle of the hill, and down by our house a little lower. We live on Manzana street, number 27! Whatever that means! Because there are no street signs!

The church building was flooded this week, and so we had to take the sacrament and leave. One of the tanks burst, and flooded the entire church. We swept the water out. They asked me to play the piano. I played all the songs I knew for 20 min, and then they asked me to play songs I didn't know. Well, the piano had some hymns memorized, and all you had to do was keep time! Since I was a percussionist, I could do that no problem! The conductor decided to conduct wrong and slow, but the piano wanted to go fast. It was a huge mess! We sang without the piano for the other two... and then I did Postlude. Oh well! What a way to make a first impression of a new gringo! It was fantastic!

This week we found 8 New investigators (Nuevos), 9 People who attended church (Incas), and 3 Baptism dates. We need to find 7 more Nuevos than this week than last, the goal is 15, 8, 3. And wow is it work!

Some people I should mention... The Cordova family! Members of the church with 3 teenagers, and Mitzi and Crystal help us a lot. The Grandma is Enit, and Paolo, who I have no clue how to describe... He is the craziest guy I have met. He walks in the room all of the time and says at the top of his lungs the What's yourr Naaame!! He is totally loco. Hermana Flor, helps us so much, and is this sweet old old lady! Violeta, who we are teaching, is so wonderful! I just love to talk with them! Alejandro, who is from Bolivia, went on a mission to Lima Cuzco, and now lives here with his wife! Everyone here is so fantastic! I just love the people!

What more... Learning Spanish, teaching people, learning how to teach people, learning how to teach people in Spanish, learning in Spanish how to teach people in Spanish... It’s fantastic! I really do love it here, and I really like all of the people I am surrounded by!

Thank you guys so much for your support, and I Love you all!

Love,

Elder Ball

Peru Lima North




Peru!


Traffic in Lima



Elder Ball's area - Canto Grande Zone, Canto Vuevo District




Investigator



Taylor's Companion, Elder Mendez from Ecuador 


Flooded Church on Sunday


Elder Ball and Elder Mendez - Not sure who is in the middle, Taylor's email wasn't clear...


The Church in Canto Vuevo District

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Llama!!!

Wow! This week was definitely Peruvian! I saw my first llama! It was a stylish llama might I add! It was fun! We saw him during our Zone P day, which was a blast! We went to the stake center and played some Fútbol! Yea... I can´t play soccer... Haha! But I´m going to learn. I have to, since even the kids here are crazy good! After playing soccer, we played some Werewolf, which is Mafia, but of course in Spanish. During games, Latinos tend to be really really energetic! I am having a great time! I am totally adjusted! Just, not the language... But you know, little details! It´s amazing to be able to help teach in the lessons, now that I know how to do more than say just my testimony! I do really well at understanding what people are saying...The only problem is when people talk to me! Then I understand nothing! And even less when people ask me how my Spanish is, because I never know if they are saying:    Do you know Spanish good? Your Spanish is really good!  You

Sky Blue

Hey! We had another Baptism!!! Celeste Lopez! One of the quickest baptisms I have seen! We found her I believe 2 weeks ago and is the best! She is the daughter of a less active member! She had already read up until Alma, and knew all of the Plan of Salvation! So we taught her the commandments, she attended church, and was baptized this Saturday!! And it is a little bit of a miracle, because they are finishing Vacations, and now they have 0 time to talk to us! They are completely busy! So it was basically her time for the lessons, and to get baptized!  Before the baptism at 7, (8:30 Peruvian Time). At 4 we ended up at a service project with the Elders quorum! We destroyed a rock wall behind a house and had to carry the rocks/Dirt in buckets. Then we all took turns with a sledge hammer at a big rock in the middle that the Jackhammer couldn't touch. But we left to try and teach someone, and then right to our baptism! But it was great! Last P day, we just ate at a Mexican Peru

No Se

Hola todos! So, the first thing I have to say today is that Internet in Peru is not the quickest, or the most reliable! And even worse when the church program doesn't work!  Anyway! We are doing just dandy here in Montenegro 4! We are so high up that the climate literally has changed! We get rain every once in a while, not too much, but enough! It is not too hot, but everyone gets a little sweaty here! It really changes with a gate that leads into this other province!  I forgot everything I have said, so If I repeat I am sorry... We have a member who cooks for us! Almost whatever we want, we end up getting! She loves to bake, try new things, and is such a sweet, amazing lady! She is also mega strict, and has a heart attack every time we do something! She is always stressed out! When we wash the dishes after lunch, she watches us, and if we turn the water on too much she shouts, if we don't turn it off while we are scrubbing, she shouts! If we throw away any scr