Skip to main content

Things that are different in Peru...

This week was great! My Spanish is getting much much better, the only problem is, now I am starting to realize my mistakes! The verb tenses especially! But people understand that I have only had 3 weeks of real Spanish! (I don´t count the MTC as learning Spanish anymore, since I technically have to re-learn everything! Haha!)

The food here really is great! I sadly had my first day not eating a potato... August 31st 2017... Sad day. I don´t exactly know how, but they can slip potatoes into every lunch! I don´t know how they do it! I have had rice every day without fail! So that’s good! They use either no salt here, or over-salt their meat, and there is no in between! But it is so yummy! Nearly every morning we have rolls with something inside! Always followed with a cup of quaker (pronounced: guakay)! There is something different every morning! Same concept, but different fillers for my rolls!

Lots of people have cell phones! We have phones! We use them a ton! In my area there are many people with smart phones. They also have Facebook and Instagram, use “whats app”, and everything!

Someone said Mexico listens to a lot of English music, but it’s not just Mexico! It’s also here in Peru, in Equador, Bolivia, and the Philippines! I hear normal music every day, and its hard not to sing along They also have lots of Spanish songs...but still! I hear Usher, Maroon 5, everyone knows Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Justin Beiber…. Especially Justin because “despacito” is popular in South America unfortunately as well.


I am listening to Shake it off right now, because they always blast music in every computer area...

The dogs here are either really really cute, really really mean, or really really nasty! They especially do not like gringos! Even worse when a gringo is wearing a white shirt. I think other missionaries messed with the dogs, so some of them are fine until they see a white shirt...

Moto taxies are everywhere! They are so funny, and they drive like they are from Mexico. The taxies are loud, the people know everywhere, and its nice and small for people like me! Not Peruvians! But me! (HAHA!)

I have hot water, and it is a normal water heater. Some missionaries do not have them. The missionaries are always on the second floor, just a mission rule, and the places are all different sizes and shapes. Right now I have a really large place. Others only have a little space, with two beds, two desks, and another room for a bathroom. 

The people here want you to eat and eat, but especially during Lunch. It is a big deal, and if they offer, you eat. This is a problem when you are doing service, they invite you to eat, and then you go to lunch. I can eat a lot, but the people here can eat even more! 

There is no way to get away from dust. I polish my shoes, and 10 minutes after going outside, they are scratched and dirty. 

We sit on whatever they give us, which is sometimes cardboard so you can sit outside on rocks with them. 

Every house is like an unfinished basement, if not a shed. The walls are concrete, brick, or fake wood/cardboard stuff. Every house is different, but all have a TV, a large speaker set, and food. So it really isn´t that bad! 

What IS bad is the smell here. Since there are so many dogs, it just smells like a jumbo toilet for dogs. Seriously, dogs and cats one day rained from the sky, and no one knows what to do with them. But it stinks, the dogs stink, and many people have stray dogs in their house, so the house stinks. I am pretty much used to it. It takes a month... 

We have water filters on our kitchen sinks, so there is fresh water, and people always offer inca cola or coke. So I haven´t had to worry about the water. 

Some of the tea is nasty because it feels like they found a weed in the middle of the mountain dirt stuff, pulled it out of the horrible nasty dirt, and made tea. But it is cold for the people here, so there is always hot drinks! Hot drinks in morning and night, and Inca cola for lunch.

Also! There is only one type of Juice here, and that is Peach. It is so yummy, but weird that they have infinite peach juice!

Drunk people are very drunk, and there are always groups of guys drinking the same beer outside of their favorite tienda.

The stores here are people’s houses, and all have the exact same stuff, almost exact same prices, and they are everywhere at the foot of the mountains! 

People obviously like their fĂștbol...

Watch me whip is now playing... why????...

Anyway! We have a good time! We set high goals, work hard and have a great time helping people find the gospel! Most everyone believes in God and Jesus, and they like to learn more! It´s fantastic!

There is some information about Peru!

This Week we had so so many appointments! We are pretty packed! But at the same time, we only had 5 people come to church! We keep working harder and harder, but there is only so much we can do! Right? Rosendo is going to be baptized this Saturday at 6pm! So excited!! He is such an amazing guy, with an awesome testimony! He has worked hard, and is now helping us find new people! I think we have 3 new investigators now! It’s pretty awesome! 

There is a Young man leaving for Brazil on his mission, Anthony, and he is going to be a fantastic missionary! We have been bringing him with us to our lessons, and he is learning a lot, and we are learning from him as well! 

A normal day goes like this: 

It doesn´t!

Every day is different, and we are doing random services, helping people, contacting people, going to lunches early and late, studying whenever we can, and always teaching! We wake up in the morning and turn on our hot water to shower (we wake up at 7:30 and the water takes 30 minutes to heat up…), we get ready, eat breakfast with Mama Luz, study and usually leave to do something at 9. Then if it is P-day, we go email, shop, help, call, and contact! If it is Wed. we go straight to service! If it is Sunday, Church starts at 9, and if it is Thursday, we have a District meeting. On Tuesday and Friday, if we don´t find service, we study or drop off our laundry/pick up our laundry. We study and work until 1:30 which is Lunch. We eat lunch, share a scripture, talk about my home for at least 20 min, and go back to study and get ready to teach.

We leave our house again at 4 to go teach. We usually have appointments at 3 we have planned. We go walk all around, up the mountain, down the mountain, up the stairs down the stairs, back and forth! And whenever there is free time, we either contact people on the street, or we ask for references from members! Always working! At 9 we have our last meeting, and it always is late. We always find more to do until 10:30 when we return to our house, turn on some music, study a little bit, write in my journal, pray and go to bed!

And that’s what a day is supposed to be like! haha! Busy and teaching everyone we can!

It really is an awesome experience, and there is something new every day! Always something more we can learn, always someone else we can teach!

Thank you guys for all you do! And as always, I will try and send more pictures next week! There is just no time! Haha!

Love you all!


Elder Ball


Leonardo - Some random kid who asked for a picture! HAHA!


This is about as much "green" as you can squeeze into one picture in Peru


Breakfast with Mama Luz


Service Project





Mama Luz - We live on the second floor of her house. 
She loves and takes care of the missionaries.


Anthony, Elder Mendez and I - Anthony is the one going to Brazil on his Mission.


Scary Dog



Up the mountain with members/investigators 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Llama!!!

Wow! This week was definitely Peruvian! I saw my first llama! It was a stylish llama might I add! It was fun! We saw him during our Zone P day, which was a blast! We went to the stake center and played some FĂștbol! Yea... I can´t play soccer... Haha! But I´m going to learn. I have to, since even the kids here are crazy good! After playing soccer, we played some Werewolf, which is Mafia, but of course in Spanish. During games, Latinos tend to be really really energetic! I am having a great time! I am totally adjusted! Just, not the language... But you know, little details! It´s amazing to be able to help teach in the lessons, now that I know how to do more than say just my testimony! I do really well at understanding what people are saying...The only problem is when people talk to me! Then I understand nothing! And even less when people ask me how my Spanish is, because I never know if they are saying:    Do you know Spanish good? Your Spanish is really good!  You

Sky Blue

Hey! We had another Baptism!!! Celeste Lopez! One of the quickest baptisms I have seen! We found her I believe 2 weeks ago and is the best! She is the daughter of a less active member! She had already read up until Alma, and knew all of the Plan of Salvation! So we taught her the commandments, she attended church, and was baptized this Saturday!! And it is a little bit of a miracle, because they are finishing Vacations, and now they have 0 time to talk to us! They are completely busy! So it was basically her time for the lessons, and to get baptized!  Before the baptism at 7, (8:30 Peruvian Time). At 4 we ended up at a service project with the Elders quorum! We destroyed a rock wall behind a house and had to carry the rocks/Dirt in buckets. Then we all took turns with a sledge hammer at a big rock in the middle that the Jackhammer couldn't touch. But we left to try and teach someone, and then right to our baptism! But it was great! Last P day, we just ate at a Mexican Peru

No Se

Hola todos! So, the first thing I have to say today is that Internet in Peru is not the quickest, or the most reliable! And even worse when the church program doesn't work!  Anyway! We are doing just dandy here in Montenegro 4! We are so high up that the climate literally has changed! We get rain every once in a while, not too much, but enough! It is not too hot, but everyone gets a little sweaty here! It really changes with a gate that leads into this other province!  I forgot everything I have said, so If I repeat I am sorry... We have a member who cooks for us! Almost whatever we want, we end up getting! She loves to bake, try new things, and is such a sweet, amazing lady! She is also mega strict, and has a heart attack every time we do something! She is always stressed out! When we wash the dishes after lunch, she watches us, and if we turn the water on too much she shouts, if we don't turn it off while we are scrubbing, she shouts! If we throw away any scr